Take the walk




I’m awake again. This time it’s 2:30am and I’m not excited to be awake this time. No, this time it’s different. I’m actually incredibly tired but I’m hurting. My hips and knees are screaming at me for once again getting nearly 40,000 steps today. Thanks to my FitBit, I have these tidbits of knowledge now. Granted it counts steps when I’m riding. But still, it’s a of motion.

It’s nearly the end of July and there’s no slow down in sight-it’s show season and it’s a short one when you live in a state that experiences winter. Show after show and weddings galore. If I’m not competing, I’m teaching or baling hay or doing a million other efforts to keep this farm running like the squeaky clean wheel it is. But I’m tired and I need a vacation just like every other farmer out there. My body is hurting from all the work load but it never slows me down. The torn hip flexors from college moan their resistance to the heavy work load. Truth be told-my body does not agree with horse riding. My hips would prefer a more quiet lifestyle of chess playing and golf, but that’s not for me. My mind likes to run free and luckily I have a job that provides that freedom. I just wish my body could keep up!




It’s times like these that I’m reminded to take care of me because no one will know your body like you do. One of the best things for me is to not ride intensely when I’m in pain, but instead to just go for a walk. Take that youngster or feisty thoroughbred that needs the training ride on a hack. They could use it anyway.  So much mental clarity can be had with the simplicity that comes with it. The cleanse. The purge of stress and anxieties can fade away in a matter of moments in the woods. Even an often sour mood that would have worsened during a ride on a tough steed can often be forgotten on a walk. 

I’ve never regretted making the decision to just ‘go on a hack’ instead. My horses and myself always come back better for it. It’s too easy to get involved in the hustle of getting ready for the next big show or work through those kinks of yesterday’s lesson. But what about that relationship ? That bond. That break. It’s that time I always remember to thank my horse for being in my life and giving me the ride. We are a team after all and when’s the last time I said “Hey thanks for being MY partner?” Because they are the real MVP . 




And throughout all of this, the last 6 weeks I have been on a super new health journey! I’m down 25 pounds! I didn’t even know I had that much to lose. I’ve been pushing my body to crazy limits and it’s just now piping up to say it needs a minute. I would say that’s pretty good. I took the ibuprofen my hips need and I will give acupuncture a call at a reasonable hour in the morning. But tomorrow when it comes, I’m taking the walk with the steeds. I’m listening to what my body is saying. They can all use the break anyway as long as the bugs and horse flies don’t carry us away. 



Another horse show this weekend will have my busy as ever with many clients competing but I was smart and got a golf cart. I’m slowly learning to manage my chaos better. Good thing because I just turned 29 and it’s not going to get easier any time soon. I’m so grateful for this job and the career I carry at such a young age. I’m fortunate to have many horses for sale and lots of clients that trust me with their horses and their riding. Me 5 or 10 years ago would be so proud of present day me. I’m living my dream but I’m keeping myself grounded. And I’m learning to listen and really hear. 

So amidst the insanity of tomorrow and the hustle of the large farm you can find me on a quiet walk with a kind horse. I’m hitting refresh and starting slowly tomorrow because it’s only Wednesday morning and I have to hit the ground running. I guess in this case though, it will be the leisurely stroll through the woods

.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Florida Quest

The long walk

Worthy